Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Books I've been reading

Today I just finished reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I've been up to my eyeballs in books all summer. I haven't really read before, with the exception of 1999 when I did an excruciating amount of traveling. I started with Water for Elephants, and now I have a few more pages in The Samurai's Garden to finish. The best one I read this summer was The Hunger Games, and the sequel, Catching Fire, is sitting on my table calling my name. The library called today and something I have reserved is now there waiting for me. I've reserved so many books, and have a lot wait listed, that I can only guess what it might be. I even got myself some reading glasses (that my husband hates) when I realized my old tired eyes are failing. I've grown to love reading, which is good since I'm an English major. Reading the works of others helps me with my "voice" and makes me a better writer.

I read a blog by Jessica tonight about just that, since I have been felling the same way. I want to share it with you. I don't think I have written a personal letter (thank you cards don't count) since my husband was in boot camp in 2005. Oh, how I miss picturing him at mail call. The drill instructor holding a box full of letters and guys in their PT's crowding around to get news from home. Halfway through RTC, my husband gave me instructions to stop sending letters in the envelopes that had the blue and red hash marks on the edges (airmail). The RDO's knew those were for him and kept them until last. From then on, I enjoyed making my own envelopes in weird sizes (within postal regs, I always look them up), stuffing them full of scribbles from the kids, and making kissy marks all over them. Maybe a spritz or two of perfume.

Now blogging seems to have taken over. I always have an outlet to share my feelings here, so it misses the bound pages of my journal. When Hubby is out of town is when I get the best writing done. Reading the epistles in The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society made me want to write again. So, here I am, telling you to read, so that you, too, may become a better writer.

1 comment:

Amy J. said...

OK...this is too wierd!!! First the Finley Ghost and now this!

So my mom tells me that quite a while back her mom asked her if she had read this book. My mom said that they were talking about it just the other day and all they could remember was that it was something about tomatoes or pie or something. Then Starlie plops this book in my moms lap a few days ago and it is that one you mentioned with the super long title :) and it was the very book they were trying to remember! Craziness...now I just need to read it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails